(Continued from “The Haiti Experience”)
...As I fought to stay on the road, my thoughts raced back to the beginning of this journey.
It was February, and our youth group was serving in Philadelphia. This was a mini mission, a test drive to determine if we might consider the more intensive summer trips. After riding a bumpy school bus, sleeping on a cold floor, and sharing a room with about 50 other guys, I though, “Who wouldn’t want to do this for an entire week?!”
We experienced some of the discomforts the less fortunate face, which was the purpose of that mission. I had a great time and was eager to do it again this summer. The question was, “Where would I go?” There were five trips to choose from and the two that stood out to me were New York City and Haiti.
NYC was appealing. It was close to home, required less preparation, and would barely skirt the limits of my comfort zone. Being new to youth leadership and inexperienced with missions, it seemed right where I needed to be. Haiti on the other hand was miles from comfortable. It required passports, immunizations, signing hold harmless agreements in case of kidnapping or death, extreme heat, and immersion in a culture I knew nothing about. It took many prayers, but in the end the decision was clear. It had to be Haiti.
The application process was tough. Our missions staff is selective and they only want to take the most committed. I showed commitment in Philly, but after weeks of no response, I questioned weather or not I was going anywhere. Was I too new and had to put in more time? Was I as committed as my peers? Their answer finally came and they decided to give me a chance.
My acceptance came late, and I only had a week to write my support letters. It took several late night grinds, but I got them out on time. Writing those letters was enjoyable. I was able to reconnect with friends and family whom I haven seen in years, which made for a nice reunion.
The next several months were spent training and preparing. We held team building exercises, cultural training sessions, memorized scripture, and wrote our testimonies. I had the added responsibility of coordinating Vacation Bible School (VBS), something I had never done. That was stressful. I was a rookie in charge of a veterans project and knew I had to come through. I continued to press forward and developed the best program I could.
Back to present day. The storm I faced was massive! It reminded me of those I encountered while living in Orlando, the lightning capital of the US. The drive to church normally takes 30 minutes, but that morning it felt like hours. After much windshield focused, white knuckle driving, I rolled into the church parking lot, thankful to be in one piece. As soon as I parked the rain quit and the storm passed.
Everyone arrived and we loaded a bus bound for Kennedy airport in NYC. That ride was pretty fun. High schoolers love to sing, be loud, and act crazy on road trips. At first I was annoyed, but soon succumbed to their infectious energy. We sang songs, told jokes, and got truckers to honk their horns.
We were on our way. Eight adult leaders and 36 kids had embarked on trip of a lifetime!
![]() |
| In Awe of the Apple Photo by Matt Parks |
Coming Soon...
An Airport Named INSANITY!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment