Sunday, January 6, 2013

A New Year, A New Resolution


Thus begins a New Year and with it a new resolution.  I’ve made the infamous “New Years Resolution” at the beginning of just about every year I’ve been alive, and like most of us, have completely chucked it no later then first week in February.

This year will be different.  This year I am sticking with this resolution all the way to Dec. 31.  “How,” you may ask?  By loosing all the promises I’ve made for massive and widespread self-improvement and just focusing on one word.  

The My One Word experiment was started by the church I attended while living in North Carolina (Port City Community Church) and has manifest into book with the same title.  A lot of people have adopted this practice and it’s changed their lives.  I’ve attempted the My One Word resolution probably 5 times now and have failed to follow through with all of them.  Fortunately, my success rate will be much better this time around!

Part of the reason I’ve tanked on my word in the past is I didn’t know how to effectively engage in the process.  The book “My One Word” is a valuable tool to help the reader walk through the resolution process, one step at a time.  I am excited about the book, the process, and the promise that God will use my word over the course of 2013 to transform my life.  

My one word for the year is CAPTURE.  I’ve chosen this from a verse in the Bible, 2 Corinthians 10:5.  It says,

 “We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 

I generally have a negative attitude toward life.  My mind often wanders toward thoughts which are pessimistic, judgmental, and hurtful toward others.  Everything in my life is effected by thoughts, most importantly the condition of my heart.  Protecting my heart must be a top priority and the negative thoughts must to be stopped now.  

To CAPTURE is to “gain by force” or “take control over.”  I resolve this year to aggressively take hold of my thoughts and bring them against the commands, knowledge, and sovereignty of Christ.  If they are opposed to Him, I will ask for His strength to destroy them.  By doing this, I pray God will teach me to capture my negative thoughts before they enter my heart, and replace them with the goodness of His.  

To find out more about My One Word, check out: 

No comments:

Post a Comment