Continued from “Wielding My Strengths”
Photos by Matt Parks
Day two of VBS went way better then the first. The loosening of the plan allowed it to flow freely, and helped position the children to be more receptive to our message. This was partly due to our relaxed approach, but mostly God providing an environment for us to succeed. Here are some of the things He did.
He gave us music.
He gave us music.
I originally wanted to include recored music in the program, but wrote it off because I didn’t think we’d have electricity. One of our students, Justin, had offered to bring his acoustic guitar at a pre-trip meeting. That idea was squashed because of airline bag restrictions. I don’t know how, but he and our trip leader John made it to Haiti with their guitars. I didn’t even know John played guitar!
With help from the missionaries, these two put together a list of children's songs that would be familiar to us and Haitians. Among them were “Father Abraham” and “This is the Day that the Lord has Made.” They struggled to sing in English, but when we switched to their native Creole, the belted with confidence. It was very cool to hear them sing in their own language.
After that, students who lead groups in our children's ministry at church got on stage and performed some of their songs.
Opening the show with singing was more effective then with a translated lecture. The kids liked the music and were having fun. We were off to a great start.
I mentioned that Kyla and myself were the MC’s for day one and had to communicate through translators. We kept these roles for teaching the Bible lesson, but God provided a new MC for the rest of the program.
He gave us Jonathan.
He gave us Jonathan.
Jonathan is a Haitian-American who was serving at NVM the same time we were. Not only is he fluent in English and Creole, but he is great with kids. We asked him to lead and he did like a champ!
He was great to work with. He bought into our program and added some elements of his own. VBS would not have been the same without him.
He gave us more translators.
He gave us more translators.
Small group time went a lot better the second day because we actually had a translator for each group. The kids were still rowdy, but we were better able to handle them. We felt much more successful and knew that the next day would be the best yet!
The last day of VBS was incredible! I spent less time on stage and more time running the show from behind the scenes.
I finally felt like I was in the role I was designed to play.
The last day of VBS was incredible! I spent less time on stage and more time running the show from behind the scenes.
I finally felt like I was in the role I was designed to play.
We kept the changes from day two and added a lot more skits. The first was an improv scene with a character we created called "Captain Peffley."
Caleb played this part beautifully. The theme of the day was Jesus’ heart, and the Captain was there to show us love. The kids didn’t know what to make of him at first, but Jonathan’s impromptu dialogue made for a hilarious show.
After their scene we ran a series of drama's that portrayed Christ's love.
Caleb played this part beautifully. The theme of the day was Jesus’ heart, and the Captain was there to show us love. The kids didn’t know what to make of him at first, but Jonathan’s impromptu dialogue made for a hilarious show.
After their scene we ran a series of drama's that portrayed Christ's love.
The first was "King of Hearts."
With an explanation by Hannah.
This was followed by an encore of the "Everything Drama."
And an explanation by Jes.
These drama's were amazing, but the children’s favorite was the Doctor skit. This is an old camp skit that they went absolutely crazy over.
Sick patients come in to see the doctor. The first comes in with a broken leg,
the second comes in itching,
and the third sneezing.
As the doctor sees each patient he contracts whatever ailment they had. The last patient is a pregnant women,
to which the doctor jumps up and runs out of the room.
When that happened, the kids went absolutely hysterical!
“Do it again! Do it again!” They shouted. So, we did it again!
the second comes in itching,
and the third sneezing.
As the doctor sees each patient he contracts whatever ailment they had. The last patient is a pregnant women,
to which the doctor jumps up and runs out of the room.
When that happened, the kids went absolutely hysterical!
“Do it again! Do it again!” They shouted. So, we did it again!
By this point the kids were very open and having a great time. Some of them even joined us on stage.
After that, Kyla got up front and told her story of how she was orphaned and God gave her a new home. I can imagine her story resonated with a lot of these children.
One of the missionaries, Jim, ended the set by telling the Gospel story through magic tricks. He explained to them several times that it wasn’t real magic and was only a trick. The voodoo religion practices magic, and he didn’t want them to think his tricks came from some mystical power.
The end of VBS was bittersweet. I was glad that it was over, but was sad to say goodbye to the children. After the final small group time, we walked them back to their village. Everyone was holding the hand of at least one child. Some of us were holding several. No much was said, but we were still communicating. We were communicating the hope and love that Jesus came to provide. We hung out outside the orphanage and played with the kids until sunset.
After that, Kyla got up front and told her story of how she was orphaned and God gave her a new home. I can imagine her story resonated with a lot of these children.
One of the missionaries, Jim, ended the set by telling the Gospel story through magic tricks. He explained to them several times that it wasn’t real magic and was only a trick. The voodoo religion practices magic, and he didn’t want them to think his tricks came from some mystical power.
The end of VBS was bittersweet. I was glad that it was over, but was sad to say goodbye to the children. After the final small group time, we walked them back to their village. Everyone was holding the hand of at least one child. Some of us were holding several. No much was said, but we were still communicating. We were communicating the hope and love that Jesus came to provide. We hung out outside the orphanage and played with the kids until sunset.
As we walked back to the compound, I reflected on the transformation of VBS. It felt as if God had turned our “school play” into a broadway production. It was so much better then I had envisioned, and give God credit for it. He provided the music, the cast, and the script. He was the director. All I did was try to be obedient and allow Him to work His plan.
I prayed that the kids got more then few a afternoons of entertainment and some free candy. I prayed that that we somehow communicated that they were loved and significant and important. I prayed that they would receive Christ and begin to live a new life. I prayed for their freedom, both spiritually and from poverty.
I prayed that the kids got more then few a afternoons of entertainment and some free candy. I prayed that that we somehow communicated that they were loved and significant and important. I prayed that they would receive Christ and begin to live a new life. I prayed for their freedom, both spiritually and from poverty.
“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by the yolk of slavery.” Galatians 5:1
Just as VBS was transformed into something amazing, I prayed the same for their lives as well.
Our mission was complete, but we still had a long road to travel. I remembered how much of a struggle it was to get to Haiti, and the ordeal I faced at the airport. Would that be repeated the next day? I hoped not but knew it was possible. The only thing to do now was pray and put one foot in front of the other.
Coming soon...
“The Journey Home”
Follow me on Twitter @MissionAnywhere to receive blog post notifications and snapshots of my everyday mission experience.























No comments:
Post a Comment